Thursday, May 03, 2007

Writers' Spaces: Deborah Raney


So that I could fulfill my dream of being a stay-at-home mom to our four children, we lived in a rented duplex for twenty years. My first novel was written at our kitchen table, the second in our tiny “master” bedroom, and almost a dozen others in various corners of the living room.

But two years ago, with three of our kids through college, we bought our first home, and I am delighted to finally have my very own writing studio. I never minded having my desk in the hub of the house, and in fact, I once vowed that even if we lived in a mansion, I'd never move my little makeshift office out of our living room. Good thing it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, because I love my sunny, colorful, quiet room and the painted farmhouse table desk that I never have to clean off before I can serve supper.

For the past couple of months, my office “chair” has been a 65 cm. exercise ball. It is the most comfortable seat I’ve ever had - great for muscles and balance, and if I ever start feeling sleepy I just bounce for a while and it perks me right up.

My Dad built me a reference bookcase that keeps my dictionary, thesaurus, and other reference books within arm's reach and at just the right angle. Above the bookcase, is a crowded bulletin board with photos of my family - my visual prayer list, and a reminder of where my priorities should be.

One corner of my little office holds a cozy overstuffed chair complete with fluffy pillows and a warm afghan - a great place for afternoon naps—er, uh, brainstorming sessions. Or for my husband or our teenage daughter to plop in for a visit after work or school. My husband's beautiful art is framed over my chair (and all through our house).

My trusty Mac laptop is my only computer, so if I ever need a change of scenery, I can easily move my office out onto the front porch or our sunny back deck. Too often the Kansas wind keeps me indoors, but I love it whenever I can be on the deck with the wind chimes making breezy music and our “two cats in the yard” snoozing in the chair beside me. (One of those two cats presented us with four darling kittens a few days ago! Anybody want a kitten??)

Virginia Wolff said, “"A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction…” Well, I don’t know about money, but I’m starting to subscribe to the “room of her own” theory.

Deborah Raney’s new novel is Remember to Forget the first of the Clayburn Novels for Howard Books/Simon & Schuster. For a tour of Deb’s writing spaces click here.

8 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Blogger Sheryl said...

I LOVE your office space Deb! Thanks for sharing it with us :-)

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Michael Ehret said...

Deb, what's the wallpaper NEXT TO your comfy brainstorming chair?

Your place looks so nice...but I would have loved to see a photo of you ON that ball!

Mike Ehret

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

Deb, yours is the most wonderful, comfy, cozy, inspiring work space I've ever seen! I'm still working in the "hub" of the house with the kids swirling around me... but I'll keep that picture of your studio in my mind until the year finally comes when I can have my own. Thanks for showing it to us!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Katy McKenna said...

Deb--Atmosphere all the way, lady! Love, love these pics. BTW, that's a quilt on the wall next to the chair, isn't it? And the framed pics by your desk are your book covers, yes? An inspired and inspiring idea.

Katy www.fallible.com

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Deb - where did you get your framed pictures by your desk? I've been thinking about buying some art on http://www.imagekind.com to kind of spruce up my office space. I need something cheery to look at. Your space is inspiring, thanks for sharing!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

Oh, Deb, I want to live there. Can I? Can I? I love it.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Deborah Raney said...

Wow! So many questions to answer. Loved hearing from everyone.

Mike, Katy's right. That's a quilt hanging on the wall to the left of my brainstorming chair. As for a photo of me on the ball-chair: not gonna happen. Let's just say it's not the most flattering look for one's hips. ; )

Sheryl, Rachelle, Katy, and Pam, thanks so much for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed your virtual visit to my office. Wish I could have you all over for tea!

Meredith, the framed pictures behind my desk are all my book covers in cheap Hobby Lobby frames. I've always wanted to do that and after thirteen-plus years, finally collected enough to "make a statement." : )

I LOVE seeing where other people write. This has been a fun series on Charis Connection!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger A Dusty Frame said...

It looks wonderful!

I love your red gingham chair!

Lizzie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home