Friday, April 20, 2007

Writers' Spaces: Lisa Samson



I'm so glad this is about writer's "spaces" not offices, because I haven't had an office in years. As some of my Charis friends here know, stuffing me into an office would be like stuffing me into a pair of size 4 jeans.


So my venues change. Right now I've been sitting on the bed a lot. There's my "credenza" or nightstand if you must be pedantic!I used to feel bad that I can't settle down into one space, but I don't any longer. It's not where you write that important, but what you write, and if you're productive in that space.


If you need a real office, a place all your own, I think it's important to create that space. If you've got a place all your own right behind your forehead like I do, then the physical space isn't important, as long as it isn't distracting. Can I get an amen from my friends in the ADD corner?


For me, the internet is my most voracious drain. I need to be away from it which is why my car is another hot spot. Right now I'm working on hard copy so I can be home. I have a tough time concentrating, so to be honest, the greatest "writer space" for me is found in something called a deadline! Now that'll do more to get you writing than anything else! I'm just not normal. But is anybody?


Don't answer that!


lisa samson writes from Lexington, KY. Check out her latest novel, Quaker Summer. She just got her hair cut really short and still isn't quite sure about it.

3 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa -- We love you because you're not "normal". But yeah, um, the car?

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Christina Tarabochia said...

Your hair looks lovely!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger DaisyTea said...

I love your "writing space" and agree wholeheartedly on where your writing space is - behind your forehead! I actually never thought of it that way before, though, and have been struggling with creating an ideal space at the cluttered desk in my bedroom. I am coming to realize that I need to allow the Lord first to give me the Confidence that I AM a writer, then the "writer's space" (wherever it be) will be clearer to me. Thanks for your fun blog. P.S. I really like your hair, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home