Friday, September 29, 2006

Ask the Authors: Friday


Welcome back to “ask the authors week.” This week we will pose five questions to our contributors, and you’ll find their varied answers to a single question each day.

If you have questions you’d like us to ask during a future “Ask the Authors” week, send it to CharisConnection@gmail.com. As always, thanks for joining us!

Is there a certain book you try to read at least once a year? If so, what is it?

Listening to your Life by Frederick Buechner—Jane Kirkpatrick

Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird. Oh, and the Bible. :>) --Liz Curtis Higgs

Other than the Bible--The Pursuit of God, by A.W. Tozer, and Rose from Brier, by Amy Carmichael. -BJ Hoff

Same book? No. I just do all I can to read the latest fiction, keeping up on what’s going on in the market. And that’s a lot to keep up on. –Brandilyn Collins

No. But I’ve read a few books quite a few times such as Philip Yancey’s Reaching for the Invisible God or Richard Foster’s A Celebration of Discipline. I’ve read A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving several times. Oh, and I’ve read Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler quite a few times. One year I read the Bible in a year, but I can’t do that every year. –Patricia Hickman

The New Testament. --Hannah Alexander

No. I struggle to get new books read every year. I rarely revisit old books (not counting the thesaurus, dictionary, Chicago Manual of Style, etc.). -- Robin Lee Hatcher

Not really. I love all kinds of writing books by different authors. –Lori Copeland

Streams in the Desert devotional. That book has impacted me more than any other book besides the Bible. –Karen Ball

"Squad Helps Dog Bite Victim", a collection of headlines edited by the Columbia School of Journalism. Headlines like:
"Milk Drinkers Turn to Powder"
"Child's Stool Great For Use in Garden"
"Shut-Ins Can Grow Indoors With Lights"

These remind me to use language carefully, and also to not take myself too seriously.—James Scott Bell

My husband and I read through the Bible once every 3 years or so, reading a chapter together every weekday morning before we pray. But there are very few other books I would read more than once because there are simply too many new books vying for my attention. One exception is that I do “spot-read” writing books anytime I need a boost of inspiration. My favorites there are Stein on Writing, Writing the Breakout Novel, Self-editing for the Fiction Writer, and Plot & Structure (by Charis Connection’s own James Scott Bell). ––Deborah Raney

I’m always a better writer after reading anything by Sol Stein. –Angela Hunt

2 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger C.J. Darlington said...

I look forward to these Ask the Author posts. Thanks much everyone!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger matt e. said...

I agree with C.J.; these "ask the authors" posts are interesting. (By the way, I have absolutely no idea if I should have used a semicolon up there. Oh well.)

Other than the bible there is only one book that I have read several times and probably will read several more. In fact, I've read it back-to-back on two occasions with a year gap in between. I continue to read a chapter from it most every morning as part of my "quiet time." The book I'm referring to, of course, is Mike Mason's "Champagne for the Soul." I think Mike is a fantastic writer and the content of that book is equally fantastic. Basically, he decided to go on a 90-day "joy experiment" and a few years later, when he was sure that his new-found joy was permanent, he wrote 90 brief reflections on the subject of joy. If you've ever struggled with even a little bit of melancholy, I suspect you might like this book. If you appreciate good writing, I suspect you might like this book. Of course, if you're a miserable wretch most of the time, you NEED this book. I imagine it's worth more than a dozen counseling sessions and a shelf full of books on living the "Victorious Christian Life." Amazingly, it's out of print (be appalled 'O Heavens!,) but you can still get it from Amazon. I like it so much that I've given away numerous copies to friends and I am by no means a wealthy person. Did I mention that I think it's an absolute gem and I really like it and you should stop reading this blog just as soon as you're done reading this comment and go purchase it immediately. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. Matt, out! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home