Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ask the Authors: Thursday


Is there a genre not yet in vogue that you would like to see developed?

I'm actually working on my newest series with that in mind, though I don't know that you'd call it a "genre." Rather than "Southern fiction," think along the line of "Appalachian fiction," and you'll get the idea. Historical, of course, since that's what I write. -BJ Hoff

Not really, because “general” seems to cover everything that doesn’t automatically fall into a genre. When enough books of a kind crop up, they’re almost immediately herded together and they become their own genre. --Angela Hunt

I haven’t seen a true, snappy Christian crime novel, written with the fast intricacy and savvy of a James T. Hall or an Elmore Leonard. I’d like to. I’d like even more to write one. – Tom Morrisey

Britney Spears, Rural Nurse. – James Scott Bell

I’d like sci fi to move up the ladder. Unfortunately, the genre is little understood, even in the secular market. Science fiction has the ability to touch on social topics in a unique and unforgettable way. The genre has been around for nearly 150 years. It deserves a little respect. --Alton Gansky

I would love to see fantasy and science fiction more fully explored and embraced by the Christian market. But aside from a few exceptions, which I'm watching with great excitement and interest, the Christian readers haven't been responsive to recent attempts in these two genres. Unfortunately, until the readers demonstrate that there really is a market out there--translation: BUY the books that are released in this genre--publishers, the one I work for included, aren't overly interested in these genres. Sad, but true. Karen Ball

I'm afraid to name anything because, as soon as I do, that genre will be in vogue tomorrow. Nobody can tell what's going to be in vogue at any given time, because readers are human beings, and they have their own reasons for reading what they do. They're less predictable than Missouri weather. Hannah Alexander

Interesting question. I do wish there were more historical mysteries and suspense stories around. I suppose that’s really a sub-genre, isn’t it? But anyway, I love Caleb Carr’s work, and Umberto Eco, and E. L. Doctorow, and I wish more people were writing in that vein. – Athol Dickson

I’m not sure this is a genre, exactly, but as a teen I read several epistolary novels and fell in love with that format. So many of my own relationships have blossomed via letters—and now e-mails—that I think it’s fascinating and challenging to think of creating an entire story from written correspondence. I’d love to try it someday! –Deborah Raney

I don't know that I'm advancing this any, but I'm trying. I would like to see more comedy without a heavy romantic emphasis. Not that it couldn't have romance, but romance doesn't drive the storyline. Just your plain old everyday comedy. -- Rene Gutteridge


4 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger C.J. Darlington said...

Jim's answer gave me a nice chuckle this morning.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Kay Day said...

I agree with Rene. I would love some good comedy! And enough with the romance.

Just make me laugh Fannie Flagg Style but with a Christian world view and hopefully something to grow me in my faith.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Jason said...

JSB - LOL! I think this book has your name on it.

AG and KB - There's the CSFF (Christian Sci-fi and Fantasy) blog group trying to help promote this genre. I agree with AG's statement about the genre being underappreciated and having lots of potential. Unfortunately, we as readers do have to buy it!

RG - I think you are advancing comedy very well, but I am a fan. Keep it up!

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim - let me run that by pub board and see what they say.

I echo Tom and Athol. Good stuff.

Rene - I've got a satire coming out next year that I think you'll like. And a Nick Hornbyesque novel. So consider comedy up-and-coming from Z.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home