Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The POV Experiment: Mother Hubbard, by Tom Morrisey



Charis Connection welcomes Tom Morrisey to our roster of contributors!

Consistency and continuity, they say, are the twin keys to success when dealing with children or dogs. So here I am, Ralphie's wet nose against the back of my calf, his tail beating a happy tympanic crescendo against the kitchen trashcan, and I am opening what I know to be an empty cupboard. For that I blame Dan Hubbard.

I remember that slick con-man, gazing into my eyes, making all of those promises--to love and honor, to be with me always in sickness or in health, whether richer or poorer. One glance in the mirror should have been enough to give me a warning: he was a dish and I was a dishrag. Even a five-year old knows that Ken does not leave Barbie to take up with Ugly Betty. And everyone in town knew that my parents had left me that Microsoft stock. I've always been so good at math; why couldn't I put two and two together?

It took a decade for him to burn through all that cash, but he finally did it. So here we are, no Dan, no money, no food. Just me and Ralphie. And three o'clock is treat time, and has been since he was a puppy. So I open the door and feign surprise when I find no box.

"Oh, no," I tell him to his moppet, furry face. "Cookie all gone."

He cocks his head, looks at the cupboard, looks back at me and licks my cheek. It's an inducement, I know he's hoping I will take him to wherever the dog treats went. But only Dan Hubbard knows where that might be. And I haven't seen Dan Hubbard for weeks.

Tom Morrisey is the author of Deep Blue and Dark Fathom. His next book, In High Places, will be released by Bethany in March, 2007. Check out his books at www.tommorrisey.com.

5 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

What a fun thing to do! I look forward to reading everyone's version.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

My first laugh this day. How poetically funny!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger batgirl said...

Wow! Brilliant. I'll never look at ole' Mother Hubbard the same. That Dan is a real scallaway.

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a hoot! Good Ralphie! Bad Dan! Never could trust those Hubbard boys! :-)

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Catherine West said...

Hey, Tom.
Too funny! Welcome to Charis Connection! I look forward to hearing more from you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home