Wednesday, October 18, 2006

AG: Me and T.R.


This year is almost over, its existence measured in weeks. The holidays are soon to be in time's wake and a dozen fresh, new months will be laid before us. The yielding of one year to another, of course, is artifice. Nothing really changes. The sun will shine with the same intensity it did on the last day of 2005, as it did on the last day of the year 1005. All that changes is the number we use, yet the switch is somehow still remarkable.

It is especially remarkable for me. For some reason, I hold New Year's Day in special importance. Perhaps more than others. Maybe it's because I'm one of those "sign post" people; those folks who measure distance by every sign post, progress by every achievement or completed task.

So once again, we approach the threshold of a new year, and like the double-faced Janus (for whom January is named) look in two directions. As 2007 turns on my street and starts down the dirt road that leads to my home, I find myself thinking about what I want to do in the next year and how I am going to achieve it. I have some ideas--too many ideas. My multifaceted mind (read that as fragmented brain) has more thoughts and ideas than a Ringling Brothers. clown can juggle and they won't go away.

That's all right. Most of the time, I like it that way. I've learned that that for me to have one good idea, I have to wade through a pile of not-so-good ones. I'm afraid I don't know of any better way.

Attempting to corral my mind is like herding cats. Still I try and in the process I've revisited three of my favorite quotes from Theodore Roosevelt. T.R. has been an inspiration to me for many years. I doubt we could have been friends even if we lived at the same time and I occupied the same social strata as he. He was a man always out to prove something. A writer, adventurer, rancher, police commissioner, children's rights advocate, soldier, governor, assistant Secretary of the Navy, vice president of the United States, and finally the youngest man ever to serve this country as president (don't write, JFK was the youngest elected president--T.R. came to office on the death of McKinley).

The phrase high achiever is little more than understatement when applied to T.R.

On criticism, he said:
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

On reading, he said:
I am a part of everything that I have read.

And on something we all need, he said:
The one quality which sets one man apart from another--the key which lifts one to every aspiration while others are caught up in the mire of mediocrity--is not talent, formal education, nor intellectual brightness--it is self-discipline. With self-discipline, all things are possible. Without it, even the simplest goal can seem like the impossible dream.

Maythe coming year be filled with fewer critics, more books, and lots of steaming hot self-discipline.

Alton Gansky writes and thinks deep thoughts from his home in California. www.altongansky.com

5 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Blogger Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

Al,
As always you make me think and give me inspiration. Write on, friend.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Love the analogy of corralling cats. LOL.

That's a powerful quote. I'm supposed to be using some of that self-discipline right now. Okay, back to outlining. Thanks for the forehead flick. :)

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Heather said...

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Love that line. Absolutely true.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Man, your words resonate with me. And Teddy Roosevelt's, too. Thanks for a great post.

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post, Al. And right now, much needed. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home