Thursday, July 13, 2006

KB: Oh, the Author and the Editor Should be Friends




A couple of years ago my editor, Julee Schwarzburg, and I taught a workshop at Mount Hermon Christian Writers’ conference entitled “The Author and the Editor Should be Friends.” We thought it would be fun to write a theme song, so to speak, for the workshop. I share that with you today, with sincerest apologies to Rogers and Hammerstein.

For those of you who are musically inclined, this is set the to the music of “Oh, the Cowman and the Farmer Should be Friends” from the musical OKLAHOMA!


The Author and the Editor Should be Friends

[All]
The author and the editor should be friends
Oh, the author and the editor should be friends
One likes to create a tale,
The other likes to make a sale,
But that's no reason why they cain't be friends

Publishing folks should stick together
Fighting at all would be absurd
Authors dance with the editors' red pens
Editors dance with author's words,

[Editors]
I'd like to say a word for the editor,
They read the books and offer sound suggestions

[Authors]
They read the books and make a lot of changes
And make 'em right acrost our precious pages!

[Editors]
The editor is a good and kind perfessional
No matter what the author says or thinks;
You seldom see them drinkin' in a coffeehouse--

[Authors]
Unless somebody else is buying drinks!

[All]
The author and the editor should be friends
Oh, the author and the editor should be friends
The editor stops cliches with ease
The author fights each change with pleas,
But that's no reason why they cain't be friends

Publishing folks should stick together
Fighting at all would be absurd
Authors dance with the editors' red pens
Editors dance with author's words,

[Author]
I’d like to say a word fer the author,
The path he’s on is difficult and tricky.
He writes for days on end
with just an HP for a friend--

[Editor]
I sure am feelin' sorry fer the HP!

[Authors]
The editor should be sociable with the author
If he comes by and asks to take a rest stop,
Don't treat him like a louse
Make him welcome in yer house--

[Author]
Just be sure that you lock up your brand new laptop!


[All]
The author and the editor should be friends
Oh, the author and the editor should be friends
One man likes to change a verb
The other likes to say “What nerve!”
But that's no reason why they cain't be friends

Publishing folks should stick together
Fighting at all would be absurd
Authors dance with the editors' red pens
Editors dance with author's words!

Karen Ball and her usual shenanigans can’t be explained. But they can be read about and even viewed at www.Karenballbooks.com .

8 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger Domino said...

Now that I know the words, I can sing along! Yeehaw!!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you, Karen! Ever since I heard you and Bandilyn sing that in Nashville, I've been trying to tell my dh how funny it was. He just sang it with me and laughed all the way through (which made his singing a little off key) ;o).

I'm going to get someone to sing it with me for our next local ACFW chapter meeting. That's the best parody to come along in years!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

ROFL!!!! Thanks for finally posting the words for this! It was hilarious at Nashville last year!

Camy

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Lena Nelson Dooley said...

How fun, Karen!! I hoped you and Brandilyn had an audio edition we could download, but I'll just read the words. . .and remember

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the only computer-illiterate dufuss (or is it dufus, or doofus, oh who cares?) that can't get KB's website up?

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Karen B. said...

Hello, all! So glad you enjoyed the song. I had a blast writing it.

And ANDY! So good to hear from you. Now, tell me, was that the line from the Robin Williams' Peter Pan, when the little lost boy took hold of Peter's face, peered into it, and then said *there* you are! I loved that scene!

And about my website. Anonymous, you're not a dufus at all. I'm just finishing rebuilding it, so it's not up and running yet. But I hope to get it going in the next day or so.

Thanks for all the great comments. You guys are great.

K

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny stuff!! Oklahoma happens to be just about our favorite musical. I wish I had your version a CD!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Dineen A. Miller said...

I loved hearing this in Nashville! Just about rolled on the floor. You and BC were great. Thanks for posting it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home