Monday, January 02, 2006

Our New Year's Resolutions


I learned years ago not to make resolutions because I don't keep them. However, when things go crazy, as they always do, especially near deadline, I will remind myself that "all things work together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose."

And then I will try to thank Him for allowing all these things to happen, and I will try to forgive those through whom they happen.

It's simple. It's trite. It works. --Hannah Alexander

This year I've decided to have a more positive outlook. To be a champion and not a critic.--Lisa Samson

I used to be a voracious reader, averaging at least a book a week, but for the past three years, other things have gradually crowded out my favorite pastime. In 2006, I resolve to get back to my book-a-week schedule—to fall in love with stories again and to broaden my world by visiting the imaginations of other writers. --Deborah Raney

Most of the fruit of my life shows up over the long term, so I’d like to resolve to find contentment in knowing that what God is working through me is enough. Or will be enough, and that I can’t see to the end of those works because I’ve no right. It’s true of everything we do really, parenting, marriage, our church work, and then our writing. Frustration and impatience can wreck havoc on my psyche. It isn’t about what I want, but what does God have to say about it. My desire should be nothing more than an echo this side of heaven. --Patty Hickman

I resolve to lose some weight, gain some knowledge, and exercise some maturity. To devour the Word, drink deeply of living water, and rest at the Savior's feet. And to spend my finite supply of earthly minutes wisely. --Angela Hunt

My goal in 2006 is to stay happily ahead of my deadlines instead of running constantly behind. --Liz Curtis Higgs

My resolution is to enjoy and live each day like it's my last. --Lori Copeland

This year I want to be less slothful which Kathleen Norris has described as not so much Christian laziness as "the perverse unwillingness to accept the possibility of joy." I'd add the "unwilling to accept the possibility of a present joy." So I want to be more mindful of what is joyful in every moment, to make myself notice the good things and not just dwell on the unfortunate things. I'll keep a small notebook to record some of those things (not beat myself up when I don't do it every day) and I'll remind myself especially in a time of stress or trial that there must be some joy within the moment. Finally, I'll consider it joy to be allowed to write regardless of the result of that work and thank God for opportunity. Daily. --Jane Kirkpatrick

4 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie asked all of us Charis Connection contributers to share a new year's resolution. Did you notice there were no guys who complied? Lisa Samson has a theory about that.

Actually, I tried. Couldn't come up with anything serious. So I tried humorous. Irreverent. Came up with bupkiss.

It took reading the resolutions this morning to know why. I've been working on being less introspective, which my personality type is susceptable to doing. And since the nature of resolutions is introspection.... Hmmm. Maybe I'm making progress. Sorry Angie.

Jack Cavanaugh

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger lisa said...

LOL, Jack! You're already perfect! At least to me, my friend. lisa

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Patricia Hickman said...

I like bupkiss. It sounds like Rocky's dog or something you do when you're trying to get a raise. I think bupkiss is introspective enough, Jack.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Dineen A. Miller said...

Thanks for sharing. That's quite a list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home