Thursday, December 28, 2006

Ask the Authors: Thursday

What writer's "tools"--pieces of equipment--are in your office right now that you consider indispensable? Limit of five, please.

Top of the heap is still my AlphaSmart Neo—a two-pound word-processor with full-size keyboard that runs for 700+ hours on three AA batteries. When I’ve a good chunk of writing on the Neo, I can then transfer it wirelessly to my Palm Tungsten E2 (when traveling) or via USB cable to my iBook G4 (when home). I’m also fond of Moleskine notebooks, and prefer the unlined ones, which are better for sketching and making maps. And as I have two offices, I always have a USB flashdrive in my pocket for traveling files. I like the Cruzer 4GB with the retracting USB plug—no cap to lose. -Tom Morrisey

Computer and printer. Pens and scratch paper. And sometimes, earplugs! -Karen Hancock

My computer. And I don't have an office. I don't even have a writing desk. No wonder Anne Tyler doesn't want to be my mentor. -lisa samson

Toshiba Laptop Computer
Random House Unabridged Dictionary
Roget's Thesaurus
The Concise Scots Dictionary
Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible
(4 Volumes)
Liz Curtis Higgs

My computer, high speed modem, desktop notepad/to-do list, my mug with freshly sharpened pencils, and a slobber rag (for the mastiffs, of course). –Angela Hunt

1. Mug full of strong coffee. Doctored with lots of cream and nonsense, of course.
2. Cabinets. For kicking when I'm frustrated.
3. A printed, glossy photo of my next book's cover. Gives me something to look forward to.
4. Pictures of my family. They remind me I'm loved.
5. My well-marked Bible. Which really reminds me I'm loved.
-Brandilyn Collins

A 20" iMac computer (with all of its accompanying software); a LaserJet printer; an InkJet All-in-One scanner/printer/copier/fax machine; a Treo Smartphone/PDA; and an Airport Extreme (wireless network modem). -Robin Lee Hatcher


My Mac PowerBook G4 laptop.
My cordless phone with caller ID and call waiting, so I can decide if I want to be interrupted or not.
My digital camera (for research and posting photos to my Web site.)
My HP all-in-one printer/scanner/copier. Awesome! And under $60!
The bookshelf my dad built for me that keeps my reference books at hand at just the right angle. –Deborah Raney

1. My computer, of course.
2. My jump drives, for taking my WIP back and forth between my desktop and my laptop.
3. My CD player or MP3 player, because music plays such a huge part in my writing. --Karen Ball

Laptop. Chair. Coffee cup. Door. Lock. -James Scott Bell

Coffee pot. — Jack Cavanaugh

Internet
Printer
Tons of data storage disks
Alpha Smart--(couldn't do without)
Windex Wipes (I have a glass desk) -Lori Copeland

Computer, printer, chair, desk, brain. -Hannah Alexander

My ergonomically correct keyboard. Couldn't live without it. -Rene Gutteridge

Top of the list: Downstairs office: MacBook. All-in-one machine (copier/scanner/printer/fax). iPod w/shelf system. Palm Tungsten E2 (PDA). Moleskines. Upstairs office: iBook. AlphaSmart Neo. a Windows laptop. Moleskines. Coffee maker. I have to add #6, because Clever Trevor the Golden Retriever is a fixture up and/or down, wherever I happen to be. -BJ Hoff

Self-editing for Fiction Writers by Renni and King; Robert McKee's STORY; the Oxford Dictionary of Etymology; Roget's Super Thesaurus; a good Concordance. -Jane Kirkpatrick

3 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Willingly showing my ignorance.

Moleskins?

Ewyew...explain please.

Other than that, I do love my AlphaSmart, too. I just have to remember I have it and make better use of it.

And I could not make it through the day without my iTunes.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

Amazing how many gifted writers prefer a Mac!!!

Thanks, everyone, for sharing.

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael, if you'll follow this link, you'll find lots of information on the Moleskines. And you're not ignorant. Some of us didn't discover them until a couple of years ago. They've been a fairly well-kept secret, it seems.
http://moleskines.com/

BJ Hoff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home